In July 1991, as a result of ROM-POST-TELECOM division, a new telecommunication services operator, ROMTELECOM, started to offer exclusive basic services.

     In 1993 were launched the first public cardphones to improve the security of the existing service that used coins.

     In December 1998, Hellenic Telecommunications Organization OTE buys 35% of ROMTELECOM shares, the rest of 65% being in Romanian State possession.

     In January 2003, OTE became majority shareholder owning 54.01% of the stock; the Romanian State owns the remaining 45.99%.

     Click on the logo for official Romtelecom (www.romtelecom.ro) site.